Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Screen-printing the world!

I've been wanting to do some screen printing for a long time. I made a course a bit more than a year ago at the Ruth Prowse School of Art, were I got to learn the basics about this technique, but never really got the time to get my kit and start printing. But now that I have my own studio-taller and some nice space to do creative stuff, I thought why not give it a try?
I bought a 90T screen (500 x 600mm), which is perfect for printing on fabrics, a nice squeegee and a set of white and transparent fabric paint and pigments (yellow, red, blue and black). In total I spent a bit more than R1300 (about U$190) which is not that much if I think how much fun I'll have doing some printing projects.
I decided not to buy a machine yet because they are quite pricey starting at R2500 aprox. and at the moment I don't need such technical equipment. As you guys know, I like playing the handyman once in a while so decided to make my own 1 colour screen printing press. Bought some clamps and used some wood I had at home for the base and with some crews and wood glue: Voila, I'm all set to start printing!!!!
As I mention in a previous post, I started doing some cushions for our new place, so I thought that it would be nice to give them a nice touch: screen printed story on the back. So yeah, here's my first hand screen-printed run!!!!
Of course after printing on fabric, I tried paper, wood, plastics... anything with a flat surface I can print on... I really have become this screen-printing maniac... It's so much fun....

No comments:

Post a Comment